Boarding your dog is inevitable for most dog owners at some point.
Today, discover what to expect and things to consider when boarding your dog.
In this episode, you will learn a simple process for selecting a boarding facility that fits your needs.
- One of the biggest reasons to choose to board their dog is based on location – how close is it to their home
- Generally dog owners are last minute in having to find a boarding facility
- We need to create the awareness of what you are going to be getting into when you board your dog
- Bennie has heard both good and bad stories when boarding their dog
- We are working off of the fact that you have to board your dog for any particular situation
- The goal is to help you – the dog lover – make the best decision
- Remember – what is sold on the outside is not always what is happening on the inside
- In regards to the big boarding facilities – they are typically owned by big business or by someone/ companies that do not have the dog mindset
- Always enter the big boarding facility arena with the mindset that they may just be getting the very basic need as the facility may have 100-150 dogs with student staff
- If you are a member – membership may have its privileges with cases such as this
- There will be constant energy and constant noise
- Overnight boarding can be difficult on the dog as well for the excessive activity and noise if they are not used to it
- If the dogs have a good routine and with a lack of human contact overnight then they will be able to settle down
- Bennie’s postulate is very true for this case – dogs is dogs best friend
- Entering into a facility for the first time is going to be very stressful so it is important that the owner remains calm so your dog remains calm
- Ep 043 – Reignite the Joy of Training Your Dog
- Ep 086 – How YOU Communicate With Your Dog
- These episodes are about creating a calm demeanor so your dog doesn’t pick up on your stress and isn’t nervous in the moment
- Ep 009 – Focusing on the Negative with the Family Dog
- This episode is very important as a reminder of how your daily tasks and stress energy – your dog picks up
- Check the reviews on the boarding facilities you are interested in
- Bennie doesn’t look for good reviews, he looks for what is said about the facility
- Interview two facilities – you are trusting them with an important part of their family so make sure you feel comfortable with them
- Once you have made your decision on the facility – drop in by yourself unannounced, drop in with your dog before leaving your dog there
- Send your dog on a test run at the facility just to see how they work with your dog and how you feel about it
- See what else the facility can provide and what their boundaries are
- Take your dog to a dog park – if they do not do well at the dog park they will most likely be very stressed at a facility like this
- Find out if they have a way to segregate your dog
- Do all of this ahead of time – do not procrastinate!!!!!
- Check out the template in January’s newsletter when boarding your pooch!
Take Our Survey
Give us your input on training programs from FamilyDogFusion.Click to Take Our Survey