Halloween presents unique challenges to dog owners.
Today, discover some specific things you should be aware of to help your dog have a good holiday.
In this episode, you will learn some specific things you can work on with your dog to have a smooth Halloween.
- Welcome Leslie as today’s co-host!
- Leslie loves to dress up her dogs
- Leslie has a shih-tzu named Monkey
- Things to be aware of it you are taking your dog trick or treating or walking the streets during the busy night:
- Your dog could have some anxiety – especially with others who are wearing masks
- Ep 092 – how to handle some things that startle your dog
- Kids and people entering their yard, doorbell constantly ringing can cause huge stressors
- Ep 067 – revisit this episode if you have to hold your dog when you answer the door
- Dogs who bark a lot:
- If out on a walk just pull the leash tight and ignore their behavior and move past what distraction
- Great time to work on desensitizing your dog to situations with large crowds
- Great time to get your involved social situations
- Be mindful of your dogs triggers – door bells, loud voices, etc.
- Remember it’s night time:
- A lot of time for trick or treaters it is past their normal bed time which can lead them to be more anxious or vocal
- Be careful! There are some that are very dangerous for dogs – Ep 023
- Be mindful of chocolate – 1 lb of chocolate for every 10 lbs of dogs can kill your dog
- Be mindful of sugar-free candy as it contains Xylitol as it is poisonous for your dogs
- Ep 052 to work on the DROP IT command which is very important for situations especially like this
- Send us a picture of your dog dressed up for Halloween, any occasion or if they dress up on the regular!
- Send photos to: email@example.com
- Leslie and Devin will be judging and picking the best dressed dog which will be used as the cover for the November newsletter
- Photos will be posted on the FB page
- You will have until the 2nd week of November to submit photos
- You will know who won when you get the November newsletter
- You can sign up at familydogfusion.com/register to receive the newsletter
Take Our Survey
Give us your input on training programs from FamilyDogFusion.Click to Take Our Survey
Call to Action
Go to FamilyDogFusion.com/insurance to check out Healthy Paws Pet Insurance