Training your puppy from an early age is good idea.
Today, discover specific steps to take when training your crazy puppy.
In this episode, you will learn specifically what to do during those moments of frustration when training your puppy.
- Getting a companion for your empty nester parents?
- Ep 102 – what you need to do with a puppy
- The moment you decided you need to train this puppy
- People get puppies because they are cute, loving and can be cuddled
- Ep 088 – stages of a dog life
- 6 weeks – 4 months socialization period – dog develops personality, important time for your dog to learn the structure of your home and the rules
- Bennie typically starts training the puppy between 8-10 weeks of age
- A puppy’s brain goes onto something else between every 1-5 seconds
- This is very frustrating when you are trying to get your puppy to hold a command for any point of time
- The good part of this is that they have very short memory so if they have to be corrected then they will forget about it
- Spastic behavior
- Puppies live in the now and life is full of interesting things that happen in the now – known as “squirrel” behavior
- Sharp teeth
- Puppies have sharp teeth
- They are teething and could be on your shoes, furniture, etc.
- Their teeth have a tendency to fall victim to punctures from their teeth
- Be conscious of these puppy teeth and the thickness of skin of people
- Just remember that you are going to get frustrated but stick with it because you are going to see great results in the long run
What you can do during those moments of frustration when training your dog, working through those frustrations and how it will create a great bond
- If you think your dog is being distracted and you are being annoyed – you are mistaken – your dog is not distracted you are – because if your puppy is going after a leaf or a shiny object they are being puppies
- In the process of working with your dog, you need to let your dog be distracted and work in short increments so that any mount of attention you get – you work through that attention spa
- Use a lot of motivation over correction
- Become the distraction for your dog
- The more frustrated you become the more your dog recognizes this type of behavior you have and wants to get away from you
- I am smarter and more stubborn than my dog
- As a dog owner I can work through anything
- Typically dogs have the brain level of 2-3 year old
- Border collies and other intellectual dogs have the brain level of a 3-4 year old
- We allow our dog upset us so much because we get caught up in what we as the owners need to do and forget about how our dog is progressing through
- Don’t just go through the process
- Remember to love your puppy!
Take Our Survey
Give us your input on training programs from FamilyDogFusion.Click to Take Our Survey
Call to Action
Go to FamilyDogFusion.com/insurance to check out Healthy Paws Pet Insurance