Are you spending enough time with your dog? Too much?
Today, discover how to refocus on *quality* time instead of quantity with your dog.
In this episode, you will learn some suggestions for finding the right balance of time spent with your dog.
- FamilyDogFusion is about improving your relationship and communication with your dog
- If my dog is laying at my feet but i am working on something – is it quality time?
- There is a difference between quality and quantity time spent with your dog
- Some people have suggested 5-6 hours is what you should be spending with your dog:
- This is good quantity time but not always quality time with your dog
- Involve your dogs in your daily activities!
- Dogs need social connections for their comfort and their safety – dogs are pack animals
- Too much time with your dog can be detrimental as they can become overly possessive or overly protective
- Too little time can also be a root cause for behavioral issues:
- They can become aggressive or aggressively protective because they don’t have the confidence or boundaries to know better
- Dogs need to learn how to behave around people and have full understanding of their boundaries laid out by you.
- On average dogs sleep 16 – 18 hours a day
- Senior and puppy dogs can sleep 18-20 hours a day
- Ep 103 – Dogs and the Illusion of Time – informs you whether or not your dog can tell time
- Get your dog used to working with you in your home
- Bennie suggests using the leash in the home
- Get your dog used to being tethered
- Take the leash and put it on the doorknob inside the closet when they are being too hyper or out of control
- Having your dog learn to be comfortable when tethered is a positive thing—especially when out in public
- Use your crate as well, as this should be their safe space
How to spend quality and not quantity time with you dog
- Go on walks or runs, or throw items for them to fetch – anything to release their energy – good quantity of time
- The higher the energy of the dog, the more you to do this – dogs such as border collies
- If it is a low energy dog, even just a small walk up and down the road (good quantity of time)
- Basic training for structure and rules in the home,
- Conditioning your dog to these rules – spend 5-10 minutes daily (5-6 times a week) with your dog
- You can do intermediate training which challenges your dog more
- Border collies are so smart they need to be challenged
- You can also do excellent level of training
- Agility training or higher levels of training
- You have to be committed to this training and really set this time aside for you and your dog because you are setting a higher expectation with your dog, (quality time spent together)
- However, you can also just start out with basic training with a dog as young as a puppy
- If you want to spend some good quality time with your dog, change your routine.
- If you want your dog to be more involved in your life and involved in your activities you have to change your routine!
- Do things like take a ride with your dog
- Get around other dogs and other animals
- Go to different pet friendly stores
- These situations teach your dog how to behave, (good quality and quantity of time)
- Taking your dog to the dog park is a good source for quantity of time and socialization
Take Our Survey
Give us your input on training programs from FamilyDogFusion.Click to Take Our Survey
Call to Action
Go to FamilyDogFusion.com/insurance to check out Healthy Paws Pet Insurance